Last modified: 2016-07-18
The University of Pittsburgh (“University” or “We”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website http://www.joinallofuspa.org (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
• On this Website.
• In e-mail, text and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
• When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
It does not apply to information collected by:
• us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by the University or any third party; or
• any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features/register on the Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at 1-412-383-2737.
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
• by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, and date of birth (“personal information”);
• that is about you but individually does not identify you, such as postal code, gender, race, ethnicity, and account preferences, including your research area interests and search criteria ;
• that is about any minor whom you register for All of Us Pennsylvania, such as the minor’s name, date of birth, postal code, gender, race, ethnicity;
• that indicates your relationship to a minor or minors whom you register for All of Us Pennsylvania; and/or
• about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website and usage details.
We collect this information:
• Directly from you when you provide it to us.
• Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies.
Information You Provide to Us. The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
• Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Website, searching for research studies, prescreening for studies, and selecting studies of interest. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
• Records and copies of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us.
• Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
• Your search queries on the Website.
Information We Collect through Automatic Data Collection Technologies. As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including:
• Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
• Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect automatically may include personal information or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
• Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
• Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
• Speed up your searches.
• Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
• Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices about How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
• Web Beacons. Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files or scripts known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit the University, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal Information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
• To present our Website and its contents to you.
• To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
• To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
• To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
• To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
• To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
• To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website, including the ability to search for research studies that may be of interest to you.
• To contact you via email, telephone, or mail with information about research studies and about research in general.
• To connect you with researchers associated with research studies in which you may be interested and for which you may qualify as a participant.
• To conduct retrospective studies.
• To automatically complete or partially complete online forms on this Website.
• In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
• For any other purpose with your consent.
We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
• To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
• To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our activities and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
• To researchers associated with research studies in which you have expressed interest and for which you may qualify as a participant.
• To third parties to conduct research if you have not opted out of these disclosures. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
• To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
• For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
• With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
• To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
• If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the University.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
• We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (”NAI”) on the NAI’s website.
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls, and all transmissions of information to the website are encrypted with SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
All of Us Pennsylvania Office